Teeth Whitening After Care Instructions
One of the biggest myths about professional teeth whitening from a dentist is that it’s a “one and done” procedure. If only it was that easy! There is a maintenance regimen that patients must follow in order to achieve and maintain optimum results before and after each in-office whitening procedure.
Foods That Stain Teeth After Whitening
After the GLO in-office whitening treatments are completed, depending on age, oral health, and teeth sensitivity, talk to your patient about maintaining the great results that were achieved during their professional whitening treatment. There are some general important rules that everyone is advised to follow:
- All White Diet - Avoid eating or drinking anything that can stain a white t-shirt for 48 hours after in-office whitening.
- Our whitening gel is specially formulated for patients with sensitivity. However, some patients may experience mild post-treatment sensitivity for 1-3 days after whitening.
To minimize this before treatment:
- Make absolutely certain that the gingival barrier application has been done correctly, covering all areas of recession, abfraction, and incisal edge wear
- Use 24% hydrogen peroxide formula to whiten teeth for younger patients (under age 21) and those who are prone to sensitivity
- Completed only 2-3 eight-minute passes, rather than the full 4
While GLO whitening is safe for sensitive teeth, the patient should still:
- Avoid excessively hot or cold food or beverages
- Brush using a sensitivity toothpaste
- Take a mild OTC analgesic (consult your doctor for approval)
- If soft tissue is sensitive, rinse the affected area and apply extra GLO lip treatment
Just like our in-office treatment is adjusted for people with sensitive teeth, so are our recommendations for at-home maintenance. Explore the following options for patients depending on their sensitivity level.
Standard Take-Home Treatment
- FOUR 8 minute applications per day for 5 days post initial in-office treatment
- Whiten 1 day per month using 1 GLO Vial to complete four consecutive 8-minute passes
- Complete two or three 8-minute passes at each hygiene visit for maintenance using 30% Hydrogen Peroxide whitening gel
Sensitive Patients and Those Under 21 Years of Age
- TWO 8-minute applications per day for 5 days post initial in-office treatment
- Whiten 1x per month using 1 GLO Vial to complete four consecutive 8-minute passes
- Complete two or three 8-minute passes at each hygiene visit using 24% Hydrogen Peroxide whitening gel
When completing the at-home treatments, we also recommend brushing before the first application to ensure a clean surface for the gel to adhere to.
Just like keeping your body fit or your hair vibrantly colored takes constant work, so does maintaining a bright smile. Patients who work to keep their teeth white, also do a better job with their overall oral health, which means improved dental visits. Give everyone a healthier smile and get GLOing!