New Technology In Cosmetic Dentistry 2022
Technology is a beautiful thing. It makes our lives (for the most part) easier, more convenient, and in terms of dentistry, leads to better quality of care. Accessibility and streamlined services allow dentists to be better equipped to provide patients with what they need when they need it.
Advances in modern dentistry are also helping to provide more accurate scans and results, saving practices valuable time and money. A patient-centered, less invasive approach makes for a more pleasant experience for all.
Over the last few years, the field of dentistry has come leaps and bounds, with even more exciting developments on the horizon. Here’s what we’re excited about now, plus a glimpse of what to anticipate in the future.
New Trends And Advances in Professional Teeth Whitening
It’s an outdated belief that dental visits only consist of cleanings and fillings. While maintaining oral health is paramount, there’s been a paradigm shift in what people want and expect from their dentists, which includes a focus on cosmetic dentistry.
That’s why at GLO Science Pro, we’re on a mission to enhance dental practices with the latest teeth whitening technologies while continuing to provide the high-quality level of care patients have come to expect. By using professional whitening as a gateway to other services, you’ll generate more revenue and create patients who seek out additional treatment options while taking better care of their teeth overall.
What Is The Newest Dental Technology?
We’ve seen great strides in the technology, tools, and techniques to elevate the dental industry and improve the patient experience. Most notably, major strides have been made in the last 10-15 years allowing dentists to deliver more natural-looking smiles that are easier to achieve. Some of the latest developments include:
- Virtual Reality- With the help of a dedicated headset, VR allows users to become active participants in any environment, including a dental setting. Whether in the operating room or office, aspiring dentists can experience simulations in real-time, giving them access to caseloads they would not have been privy to previously. And this technology isn’t just helping clinicians. Patients, particularly those with dental anxiety, can benefit from using VR during appointments and surgical procedures.
- Teledentistry- While this practice has been around since the early ’90s, it’s risen in popularity in recent years. Teledentistry makes in-office appointments more accessible to those in need while offering more affordable and convenient treatment options. “Studies on the use of telehealth services have shown that 70 percent of patients are comfortable communicating with their healthcare providers via text, email or video in place of seeing them in person,” making this an appealing option for many patients. (Americanteledentistry.com)
- Artificial Intelligence- Dental medicine is sure to reach ground-breaking platforms with the help of AI. Through the development of new algorithms, practitioners will be able to offer advanced, personalized care resulting in improved treatment plans and more successful outcomes for even the most challenging cases. These programs also have the potential for earlier detection and accuracy of oral cancers, a significant game-changer in the field.
- Guided Light Optics- Guided Light Optics, a key component of our GLO universal mouthpiece, is revolutionizing the industry in several ways. Many devices use harmful UV lights causing high tooth sensitivity or messy whitening trays that allow the gel to escape to the gum line. Others use cold-light, but on its own has not been shown to improve whitening results.
When heat is applied to a peroxide gel on the teeth, it increases the efficacy and speed of the gel, creating brighter, whiter teeth in less time. The GLO Science difference lies in its innovative combination of a controlled warming heat mouthpiece (that never gets warmer than the optimal temperature for accelerated whitening without sensitivity) and specially formulated whitening gel made with premium, clean ingredients for maximum safety, efficacy, and comfort.
What Are Examples Of Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the visual appearance of a smile. Popular cosmetic dental procedures include teeth whitening, veneers, and gum contouring. All of these procedures aim to create a more aesthetically pleasing smile, increasing patient satisfaction and boosting self-confidence.
So, what’s the reason for the surge in cosmetic treatments? Much of it stems from societal changes and trends. Reality TV, social media, and our favorite celebs and sports figures impact how many people see themselves. And now that those perfectly straight, white, gleaming smiles are becoming more accessible and affordable for the everyday person, requests for these procedures are on the rise, too.
What Are The Latest Trends In Cosmetic Dentistry?
While many health and wellness trends don’t last long, it seems as if dental trends are here to stay, especially as treatments become more affordable, accessible, and comfortable. Here is some of the latest technology in cosmetic dentistry seen in practices across the country:
- Adult Braces and Aligners- The desire for a beautiful, picture-perfect smile remains a top request of many patients, attributing to the rise in popularity of adult braces and aligners. With many options and price points to consider, this cosmetic treatment is now more accessible (and comfortable) than ever before. Clear aligners are also very discreet, adding to the universal appeal.
- Bonding- Many people have gaps or chips in their teeth, making them self-conscious and unhappy with their smiles. For patients looking for a quick fix, dental bonding is an easy way to improve the overall appearance of their teeth. Tooth bonding is a low-risk cosmetic procedure that involves shaping composite resin to teeth, followed by hardening and polishing for a natural finish. Inexpensive and usually able to be completed in one visit, it’s no wonder this has become a popular choice.
- Veneers- If you’ve ever been envious of a celebrity smile, it’s most likely thanks to an incredible set of veneers. Veneers are slim pieces of porcelain or resin that quickly transform smiles from imperfect to star quality. According to the American Dental Association, veneers typically cost between $925 and $2,000 per tooth, making them pricier than bonding but also more durable. After getting veneers, it’s important to practice good oral hygiene and maintain regular cleanings. While most patients will qualify for this procedure, those who grind their teeth frequently or have missing teeth may not be good candidates for veneers.
What Is The Most Popular Cosmetic Dental Procedure?
The demand for cosmetic dental treatments has grown as new technology makes treatments more accessible and affordable. Teeth whitening tops the list, as patients look for easy ways to improve their smiles both in-office and at home. Everyone wants to look their best, and GLO Science can help achieve a brighter, whiter smile without sensitivity or rebound zingers.
Whitening patients are your best dental patients - taking better care of their teeth at home, pursuing more dental procedures in the office, and sending you more referrals. Remember, every patient can be a whitening patient!
What Is 3D Printing In Cosmetic Dentistry?
3D printing and scanning are revolutionizing cosmetic dentistry and are a vast improvement from older and more invasive techniques. This is a welcomed relief for patients who suffer from the many anxieties or phobias of dental procedures. In fact, a 2019 study by Takira M A Kohli showed increased patient satisfaction and life expectancy after dental procedures that used 3D printing. The study correlated this to decreased wait times for an overall increase in post-surgery comfort.
How Does Laser Cosmetic Dentistry Work?
Laser dentistry, a newer technology developed in the 1990s, uses a very narrow beam of laser light to deliver faster results with more accuracy and less pain. These lasers can be used in various dental procedures like gum surgery, whitening, cleaning, root canals, and more.
Dentists utilizing laser technology cite numerous benefits, including more focused treatment, less invasive procedures, the elimination of bacteria, and pain reduction. While it can be slightly more costly than traditional services, the benefits certainly outweigh the price difference.
Why Is Cosmetic Dentistry So Popular?
Regardless of why a patient finds themselves in your chair, if you ask them to tell you what they want, they’re likely to mention an esthetic change. It makes sense since humans, by nature, are visual creatures- we like to look our best! And that starts with a great smile. Promoting esthetic enhancements, including whitening, is a way to get patients excited about dentistry and the possibility of an improved smile, not to mention increase your case acceptance.
GLO Science Pro remains committed to delivering the most innovative oral care products in cosmetic dentistry. Plus, patients who receive the latest teeth whitening technology and other treatments tend to be better dental patients and are more likely to care for their teeth properly between checkups and treatments. Let patients know that when they whiten their smiles, they’re also enhancing their oral health. It’s a win-win for both clinicians and patients!