If a global pandemic has taught us anything about the dental industry, it's that staying in tune with patient needs (and adapting to their wants) is and remains a priority in developing a successful, lasting relationship.
Sounds easy right? Not quite.
We know you want what's best for patients, but do you know what they want? The key to discovering this lies in a patient-centered approach, which in short means careful and dedicated attention to individual needs and preferences. This applies to everything from routine appointments to disease prevention and treatment. A recent study from Harvard and BMC Oral Health states that, "Person-centered care offers a unique and compelling opportunity for dentistry and its practitioners to improve the quality of care and overall health outcomes."
Perhaps you’ve already incorporated this into your care plan, but one caveat is that unless your patients notice and respond to this approach, your intentions may fall flat, or worse, feel forced upon the patient. There’s nothing worse than catching a patient off-guard with services you know are needed, but they don’t want. Patient reception and compliance relies upon a delicate balance based on good communication and rapport. How exactly, can you ensure your message is clear and well received, and how can GLO Science help you achieve this?
Two words: health literacy. You may already be painfully aware of this to some extent, but did you know that 50-70% of patients do not follow dental recommendations within a month of their initial consult?
To combat this, not only do you need to provide clear instructions and follow-up care to ensure compliance, but here’s where knowing what your patients want can help you motivate them to take an active role in their oral health after they leave your office. Dr. Yooson Kim of Morganville, PA has an excellent approach to using whitening as a motivator. She says, “Patients may have a bunch of cavities, but they still want white teeth! So, it’s your job to communicate with the patients… and sometimes teeth whitening is kind of the final prize they have for themselves.”
Here at GLO, we recognize the challenges you face, and therefore offer many ways to share pre-and post-treatment tips with patients. Visit GLO Science Professional and you'll find:
- Motivational shade guide techniques to show natural tooth color vs. whitening potential with your patients
- Oral pH info sheets to share for use alongside our ECO Balance (great for everyone, but especially for patients who don’t like to floss every day)
- Editable patient post care instructions
- Answers to frequently asked questions- If patients are wondering how to whiten at home, or the best whitening for sensitive teeth, answers to this and many other FAQ's can be found here.
- Lifestyle images and product info to share on social media- We love smile makeovers, so check out some of the incredible teeth whitening before and after's.
- Free, customizable marketing materials- As more and more consumers seek out the best professional teeth whitening, take advantage of capitalizing on this incredible niche in dentistry. We have plenty of resources to help make the process as seamless as possible.
We've also enhanced and expanded our newest PRO Platinum take home teeth whitening kit to include Bluetooth connectivity to the GLO app, providing the option to schedule treatments, track progress, get reminders, and more.
Adding these tools to routine hygiene appointments and whitening consults can significantly enhance the patient experience, building trust and increasing the likelihood for at-home compliance. It also allows for a better understanding of the options and outcomes available.
Choice is another key component of a patient-centered approach. And when it comes to professional teeth whitening, we know that one size does not fit all – well, unless you’re referring to our universal mouthpiece! GLO offers customizable options to satisfy individual needs and preferences including:
- Chairside Whitening Treatment
- Take-Home Kit (now available in a wireless option)
- ECO Balance
- GLO Whitening Vials
Happy patients mean more than just good PR for your office. In addition to referring friends and family, they tend to be more likely to return for follow-up care, seek additional services, and are motivated to take better care of their oral health in between check-ups, adding value to your practice in multiple ways.
We continue to be committed to partnering with dental practices to improve the quality of patient care one smile at a time and look forward to working together with you and your team to enhance oral care.